"Tearing Down the Net" w/ Tate McIntyre
Monday, September 6, 2010
Hi everyone and thank you for taking the time to tune in to the second installment of my blog.

This week was rather eventful for Centenary men's soccer, with games scheduled on both Wednesday, away to LeTourneau University, and on Friday, at home to the University of the Ozarks.

While Wednesday did not quite go as planned it served as a vital wakeup call for the team. We were supposed to visit LeTourneau, a Division III opponent, and take care of business. After about fifteen minutes of the first half passed it was clear that we weren't going to just march into the stadium in Longview, Texas and have our way with the opponent. Both teams battled to gain possession of the ball and control the game but neither side gave way. LeTourneau took the lead at about the midway point of the first half after a defensive miscue, and we knew we were in for a challenge the rest of the way. Despite being down a goal to an opponent which we were supposed to deal with handily, on the opposition's home field nonetheless, our tem responded the only way we know how. Shortly after going down a goal, Marcos Rodriguez received a quick free-kick after being fouled and quickly fired a shot into the net from about 25 yards out, drawing us even. The game remained tied throughout the rest of the 90 minutes and before we knew it, overtime was upon us. In the overtime period, a miscommunication between the defense and our goalkeeper led to a penalty kick opportunity, which Letourneau capitalized on; and we were beaten. Needless to say the team was down after the defeat, and the 50 minute long bus ride back to Shreveport seemed like an eternity.

Friday gave the Gents soccer team something it needed dearly before entering regular season play: a chance at redemption. From the start the team came out with an extremely focused attitude and seemed very intent on taking care of the task that was in front of us. Everyone concentrated on their own level of play and executed the basics, which led to a solid team performance. Ryan Watson put us ahead at the end of the first half after a solid individual effort by Spencer Nickerson, and Marcos Rodriguez upped the lead to 2-0 after capitalizing on a rebound from Heath Cox' hard earned effort at goal. We gave up a late goal on a deflection, but overall it was a good performance by the team in what was our first game in front of our home fans this season.

Overall I am most proud of the way that our guys didn't dwell on the loss in the previous game and concentrated on the task in front of us. After all, in a season that only lasts two months you cannot afford to let mistakes from the past effect your future.

This week's shout out goes to Heath Cox. After transferring from a defensive position to one of our most important attacking players during the preseason, Heath has played a part in two out of the four goals we scored during this preseason. Hopefully he can keep it up.

Thanks again for taking the time to read my blog and I hope you all will be back next week.