Ladies Conclude Home Slate with 3-2 Double-Overtime Loss
Sunday, October 24, 2010
SHREVEPORT-The Centenary women's soccer team battled a feisty Southern Utah team to a 3-2 fall in double-overtime on Sunday afternoon in Summit League action on Mayo Field.

The Ladies (4-12, 1-6 Summit) showcased a valiant effort as sophomore Courtney Cleveland recorded her first collegiate goal and classmate Kelly Fossard notched her third of the season.

Southern Utah jumped ahead early at the 23-minute mark when Shelby Ostler received a pass from Allison Thompson to put the Thunderbirds up 1-0.

However, it was sophomore Holden Penney's cross that found Cleveland who would find the back of the net at 34 minutes into play, reaching just past the keeper into the bottom right corner.

Both teams managed to play to a 1-1 draw into the second half before Southern Utah would respond first. Thunderbirds' Ostler scored her second goal of the game from teammate Elyse Alexander at the 52-minute mark.

It took another 20 minutes before Centenary would challenge Southern Utah. With 70 minutes on the clock, Fossard battled one-on-one from the keeper and fires off a successful shot that tips the crossbar and reaches net for a 2-2 tie.

Southern Utah would record the win on an Erin Wright goal from Sabrina Hernandez at the 102-minute mark in the second overtime for the win.

The Thunderbirds fired off 37 shots, 13 on goal on the afternoon as the Ladies recorded a .500 shot on goal percentage with 10 shots, five of which landed on goal.

Fossard tallied four shots for Centenary, two on goal with a goal, while Penney had two shots, one on goal. Also contributing towards the offensive attack was junior Candace Rushing with one shot on goal, Cleveland with one goal on one shot, and junior Laura Immenschuh and senior Kortney Causey with a shot apiece.

Southern Utah was led by Ostler with six shots, four on goal and two successful attempts.

Centenary junior keeper Kalyn Harris played all 102 minutes in net, tallying 10 saves, but would suffer the loss, while counterpart Charly Booth also saw action the entire contest, making three saves for the win.

Centenary will wrap up its season on the road with two final contests at North Dakota State on Friday, Oct. 29 at 3 pm, followed by a 1 pm contest at South Dakota State on Sunday, Oct. 31.