Blog: Tearing Down the Net w/ Tate McIntyre
Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Hello and welcome back to Tearing Down the Net.

After a successful preseason and a victory against Texas College, it seemed that the season was in full swing and we were starting to build some momentum. The next test would be a twelve day layoff in between the Texas College game and our first ever meeting with our new cross-town rival LSUS. While the time off is always good as far as physical recovery is concerned, it can also cause some rustiness in certain areas once you return to the field. To try and avoid this, Coach Orr saw to it that the team stayed focused in our training sessions and saw to it that the right amount of work was being put in. After a weekend of final preparation, Monday was here and it was time to take on the Pilots.

While facing a rival is easily enough to motivate one to focus and play their best, there was even more riding on this initial meeting between the Gents and LSUS. The game has been made into an annual meeting between the two teams called the Mayor's Cup. Competing in this initial edition of the Mayor's Cup was certainly an honor and something all the players were looking forward to. If this wasn't enough, the game had also been made into a charity event, with proceeds from all food that was sold going to the March of Dimes, a charity that is near and dear to many people including Coach Orr. All of these factors contributed to record crowds for the game, and a very competitive atmosphere.

Needless to say, some of the players were a little more hyped up for this game than usual, as many of us had not ever played in front of so many people. However, we used this as motivation to show all these people what we can do. After our customary preparation and team meeting, it was time to take the field. From the start, the Gents controlled the game dominating possession and shots on goal throughout the first half. We almost broke the scoreless tie on a number of occasions, forcing desperate saves from the LSUS Goalkeeper and even hitting the post later on in the half. The game was very physical as both teams wanted to be the first to lift the trophy. After a very eventful first 45 minutes, both teams left the field tied 0-0.

The second half was more of the same, with the Gents dominating possession and attacking the LSUS goal from all angles. However, once again we appeared to be lacking focus in the attacking end and wasted a number of dangerous scoring chances. A huge blow came to us in the 81st minute when LSUS was first to jump on a very fortunate bounce and slid the ball into or goal to take a 1-0 lead with a few minutes to play. The rest of the game was played at a frantic pace, as we desperately tried to get the ball up the field in order to tie the game. While we had a number of decent chances to tie the game, including two free kicks right on the edge of the penalty box, we could not do enough to tie the game and LSUS hung on to win 1-0. Nothing hurts more than seeing the other team celebrate, especially on your home field, in front of your home fans. I am confident that we are going to remember this feeling so we do everything possible not to feel it again. This team has a great attitude and I know that rather than sulking at this rather painful defeat, we can find positives from this result and move forward. All my teammates sacrificed themselves physically and played hard the whole 90 minutes, there is no shame in that.

The next home game is this Friday at 4 pm. I hope everyone can come out and continue our outstanding support.