Gents Drop Two to Begin Season
Sunday, August 31, 2003

INDIANAPOLIS, IND.--The Centenary Gents soccer team dropped two close matches to open their 2003 season, falling 3-2 in two overtimes to IPFW and losing 2-1 to Western Michigan at the "Pops" Drayer Classic hosted by IUPUI. Michael Krulin and Felipe Pereira were both named to the All-Tournament team for their efforts.

In game one, IPFW rallied from a 2-1 deficit to win a 3-2 double overtime thriller. Barry Morgan put home the game-winner in the 106th minute by drilling a rebound past Centenary goalkeeper Stefan Nicola.

The scoring started early in the match as Felipe Pereira put home a slick pass from Garret Pickard in the tenth minute to stake CC to a 1-0 lead.

IPFW answered less than three minutes later when Garrett Buck's free kick found Trevor Peaslee in stride as he headed a shot past Nicola.

Centenary took a 2-1 edge early in the second half when Michael Krulin beat IPFW goalkeeper Peter Hachaj for an unassisted goal. Centenary had numerous other opportunities to add an insurance goal including an attempt from Greg Clarke that went wide of an awning net.

Paul Otachel knotted the score at 2-2 in the 75th minute when he rifled a shot past Nicola, setting up Morgan's overtime heroics.

For the match, the Gents outshot IPFW 21-15 including 8-4 on goal, but Hachaj posted six saves in the win. Hachaj was extremely busy in the second half as he posted five of his six saves after halftime.

In game two, despite playing a man down over the final 50 minutes of the match, Western Michigan was able to knock off Centenary to claim the 2003 IUPUI 'Pops' Drayer Classic championship.

Centenary had the best scoring opportunity in the early going as Ryan Nicholson hit the cross bar in the 20th minute of play.

Some fancy Bronco passing got WMU on the board midway through the first half as Guisseppe Ianni played a ball downfield to Jeff Hughes. Hughes sent a pass to Edgar Rivera on a run down the middle of the field and Rivera put a shot past Stefan Nicola for a 1-0 lead.

Centenary answered minutes later as Felipe Pereira took a feed from Michael Krulin and beat Ian Spooner for his first goal of the season.

The Gents got a huge break with 4:51 remaining in the first half when Giuliano Teixeira received a red card, forcing WMU to play short-handed the rest of the way. The card was the fifth of eight cards handed out in the match.

CC was unable to take advantage, despite getting off 12 shots in the second half.

WMU got the game-winner on a penalty kick from Jason Okroy in the 56th minute. Okroy beat Nicola with a shot to the lower-lefthand corner of the goal for his first of the season.

Spooner turned in eight saves and also saw his teammates come up with a pair of team saves.