Gents Drop Third-Straight, Loses to Georgia Southern
Saturday, September 9, 2006

Files associated with this release:
Final Stats - Georgia Southern at Centenary
Final Stats - Lipscomb vs. Oral Roberts

Junior James Speed made
three saves Saturday

SHREVEPORT, La. -- The Centenary men’s soccer team (1-4-0) fell to Georgia Southern University (3-2-0), 3-0, Saturday in the 2006 Centenary Invitational at Mayo Field.

The Gents forfeited the contest with 19:30 remaining in the second half, following the ejection of Centenary head coach Eric Mayo due to an accumulation of two yellow card cautions.

After Georgia Southern senior Calvin Simon scored in the 71st minute, tapping in a low cross from teammate Scott DeVault to build a 3-0 lead, an argument between Mayo and center referee Paul Hooks ensued. Hooks immediately cautioned Mayo and gave a second yellow due to the persistent argument.

Following Mayo’s ejection, Centenary walked off of the field, handing the game to Georgia Southern with a little under 20 minutes remaining on the game clock.

An uneventful and unlucky night of sorts, Centenary fell behind just five minutes into the opening half when Eagles freshman Jon Cox hit a loaded shot past Gents goalkeeper James Speed (Corpus Christi, Texas/King). Dribbling through a couple of Centenary defenders, Cox’s high shot from the top of the box went off of the hands of a diving Speed and trickled into the right side-netting of the goal.

Cox would later add a second goal in the 70th minute, following up a shot by DeVault.

Georgia Southern goalkeeper Brian Young made three saves for the shutout win, with Speed also making three saves in the loss for the Gents.

In their next contest, the Gents face nationally-ranked and perennial powerhouse Southern Methodist University, traveling to Dallas for a 7:30 p.m. game Tuesday. In the game, the Gents will be without the services of Mayo on the sidelines, as the head coach will now have to serve a one-game suspension due to his ejection.

In other action Saturday, Oral Roberts and Lipscomb played to a 0-0 draw. Both schools ended the weekend with an undefeated 1-0-1 record.