Gents Knock off Texas Tech in CenturyTel Center 70-66
Saturday, December 1, 2007

BOSSIER CITY, La.—The Centenary men’s basketball team came back from a 14-point deficit to defeat Bob Knight and the Texas Tech Red Raiders, 70-66, on Saturday in the CenturyTel Center. The win was the first for the Gents over a Big 12 opponent since beating Texas A&M in the Gold Dome 73-63 during the 2001-02 season.


After a closely contested first half that ended with Texas Tech on top of the Gents 35-32, a small distraction occurred as the teams were exiting to the locker rooms. A group of 20 to 30 Centenary fans baited Bob Knight as he passed by. Knight stopped, turned, and headed back towards the section with a pointed finger. After a few words to the crowd he disappeared into the tunnel to meet up with his team.


However, Knight never came out of the tunnel and back into the arena when his team emerged in the second half. Texas Tech Sports Information Director Randy Farley went to look for Knight after several minutes into the second half. He returned later and informed the media that Knight was feeling ill and was driven to the hotel by his son Tim Knight to rest.


Meanwhile, Texas Tech opened the second half on a 14-3 run and led by 14 at 49-35. Moments later, Centenary charged back into the game on a run of its own led by freshman Anthony Gatlin. The Gents scored 13 unanswered points, 8 from Gatlin on a three-pointer, an old fashioned three-point play, and a layup.


During that stretch Centenary took its first lead since the seven-minute mark of the first half. The lead changed hands three times and the score was tied on three different occasions over the remaining nine minutes of action.


Trailing 66-63, Tyrone Hamilton drained a big trifecta for the Gents over the outstretched arms of a Tech defender to knot the score again with 1:35 left. On the ensuing possession, Tech’s Charlie Burgess was whistled for charging and Centenary had a chance to take the lead.


Nick Stallings’ three-point attempt missed its mark and after a fight for the ball, Centenary’s Lance Hill took possession and tried to pass the ball to guard Chase Adams. The pass was errant and seemed to be heading out of bounds until Adams jumped, grabbed, and flung the ball back onto the court where Stallings leapt and hauled it in for the Gents.


Centenary called timeout with 36 seconds left and after play resumed, Adams drove down the right side of the key and made a nifty wrap-around pass to Hill, who was left open after his defender left to help on Adams. Hill’s lay-in was true and the arena erupted as the Gents took the 68-66 advantage.


Trevor Cook missed his three-point attempt on the Red Raiders’ next trip down the court and Stallings gathered in the rebound and promptly sealed the game, making both free throws after being fouled.


Stallings finished with 17 points to pace the Gents on the evening. Gatlin added a career-high 13 points in the win and Hamilton tossed in 12 points. Justin Glenn pulled down a game-high nine rebounds for the 5-3 Centenary squad.


Martin Zeno scored 21 points for Texas Tech (5-3) and Alan Voskuil had 12 points.


Centenary opens Summit League play on Thursday when it hosts South Dakota State in the Gold Dome at 7 p.m.