UMKC Steals One Away from Gents
Saturday, February 23, 2008

SHREVEPORT—For the second time this season the Centenary men’s basketball team had a win against UMKC, but could not hold on. The result was a 75-65 overtime loss to the Kangaroos in the Gold Dome on Saturday; the Gents third overtime Summit League home loss this year.


Centenary (9-19, 3-13 Summit) went cold over an eight minute stretch in the second half, making only one field goal from the 14:00 minute mark until 6:01 remained in the game. Yet, the Gents still led by two points at 51-49.


UMKC (10-19, 5-11 Summit) hung close and began chipping away at Centenary’s five-point lead with 4:07 to play. A 3-pointer from Reggie Hamilton tied the contest at 61-61 with 1:35 to go.


The Gents had two chances to take the lead, but shot attempts were missed by both Tyrone Hamilton and Chase Adams. UMKC’s Reggie Hamilton then brought the ball up the court with 10 seconds left and lost control of his dribble, causing a loose ball.


Adams and Hamilton both dove for the ball and another jump ball was called with 2.5 seconds remaining.


UMKC was awarded possesion of the ball based on the alternating possession arrow, but Brian Gettinger missed his 3-point attempt at the buzzer, sending the game into overtime.


In the extra period, Centenary failed to generate any offense and shot just 20 percent on 1-of-5 from the floor. Meanwhile, UMKC used the momentum to hit on 3-of-5 shot attempts and 6-of-6 free throws to pull out the win for the second time in a month.


Nick Stallings led Centenary with 22 points on Saturday. Jerrald Bonham pitched in with a career-high 14 and Tyrone Hamilton added 10 points in the loss. Adams dished out seven assists.


Reggie Hamilton scored 18 second-half points to pace UMKC with 20 on the night. Tim Blackwell tallied 14 and Dane Brumagin had 10 points for the Kangaroos.


The Gents will next face North Dakota State on Thursday in Fargo, N.D., before concluding the regular season on Saturday at South Dakota State.