Gents and T-Birds Split Doubleheader
Friday, May 9, 2008

CEDAR CITY, Utah – A come from behind victory in the first game helped the Centenary baseball team split a doubleheader on Friday afternoon against Southern Utah. The Gents won the first game, 4-2, while they dropped the extra inning nightcap, 2-1 in Summit League action.

Game one

Teddy Saenz picked up three hits and scored two runs to help lead Centenary (28-21, 11-12), while Ryan Bernsen and Cameron Penney combined to knock in three runs. The Gents used a three run eighth to help push them to a victory, while they tacked on an insurance run in the ninth.

Jeremy Sheehan went 6.1 innings, while Joe Hagen (2-4) got the win after going two-thirds of an inning. Aaron Bronson notched his fifth save of the season, which ties his own school record for saves in a year.

However, the biggest thing in the first contest came in the bottom of the ninth with two on and nobody out. SUU’s (25-24, 12-10) Cameron Nelson popped a sacrifice bunt attempt to Saenz, who threw the ball to Penney and in turn he wisely tossed the ball to Ricky Imperiali for a triple play. The triple play is the first in the Ed McCann era and its believed to be the first in school history.

Game two

In the nightcap, SUU and Centenary played a scoreless five innings, but the Thunderbirds scratched across a run in the sixth to take a lead. But in typical Gents fashion, they had timely two-out hitting, as Alex Maldonado had a double to keep the game alive. Imperiali had the only RBI for Centenary with a single to left field, which scored pinch runner Joey Fandel.

Boone Whiting (1-1) went seven plus allowed eight hits, two runs, walked none and fanned six. Chris LaLonde finished the game for Centenary, as he went two-thirds of an inning and gave up just one hit.

SUU’s Kelii Zablan, who started the rally, scored the winning on Chester Wilson’s single up the middle.

The final game of the series will be Saturday at 3 p.m. central time and the contest can be heard on