Overtime Victory In Favor of Northwestern State, 90-84
Monday, December 1, 2008

NATCHITOCHES, La—With its second I-49 battle against Northwestern State this season, the Centenary men’s basketball team battled until the final buzzer of regulation sending the game to overtime, but eventually fell to the Demons, 90-84.

With 0.6 remaining on the clock, Chase Adams was fouled sending the junior guard to the line for two shots. He connected on one of two, which proved to be enough to send the game to overtime. However, clutch overtime free throws by the Northwestern State Demons allowed them to pull out the victory over the Gents. 

In the first half, Centenary opened with a Jerrald Bonham jumper, but fell stale as Northwestern State went on a 6-0 run. Connecting on his first three-point attempt, sophomore Anthony Gatlin began the Gents’ run as they managed to put up a 6-0 run in response.

Centenary never trailed in the half, as they shot 40.6 percent (13-of-32) from the field 71.4 percent (5-of-7) from the line, while NSU shot 45.6 percent (11-of-24) from the field. The Gents were able to respond to NSU’s 12 first half turnovers with 17 points.

Senior Nick Stallings led the way with 13 points, while Gatlin had 11 points and four rebounds in the opening frame as Centenary led 35-33 at the half.

Leading by two at the half, Stallings opened with a shot behind the arch, taking the lead to five, but Michael McConathy responded with his own and teammate Devin White added two more tying the game at 38 apiece. Northwestern State took its first lead of the game at the 17:12 mark when Damon Jones’ three-pointer sunk net.

A Demon foul, a Stallings’ free throw, and a David Perez three point shot allowed the Gents to take over the lead once again near the 16:50 mark. From then on, both teams battled back and forth, struggling with team turnovers.

Shaky shots and a Centenary turnover resulted in NSU taking its first lead of the night, 55-54, with 9:16 remaining in the game. But again, a Perez trey brought the Gents ahead.

With only a minute left in the game, Centenary trailed 66-64, but Adams sunk two free shots, tying it up. In response, NSU found a way to reach the charity stripe, connecting on two of its own, pulling ahead late in the game, 68-66.

In overtime, NSU free throws proved to be the game winner as they were a perfect 12-of-12 from the line compared to Centenary’s 2-of-3.

Four Gents scored in double figures for the night. Leading the way Adams with 22 points and six assists. Perez shot a career-high 19 points, with five from behind the arch. Teammate Stallings also added 19, while Gatlin had 16 on the night. Defensively, Centenary managed 17 steals on the game, but it wasn’t enough to make up for shaky late game shooting and 42 NSU rebounds, compared to the Gents 31.

Northwestern State was led offensively by Keithan Hancock with 22 and Jones with 18. McConathy added 14 with 6-of-6 at the line, all late in the game.

Centenary (2-6) shot 40.6 percent (28-of-69) on the game, while NSU (4-3) shot 49.0 percent (24-of-49).

The Gents will open Summit League play this week as they head north to take on South Dakota State on Thursday at 7:30 p.m. in Brookings, S.D. This game can be heard locally on KSCL 91.3 FM, as well as on GoCentenary.com.