Gents Struggle at SDSU, Fall 71-58 in League Opener
Thursday, December 4, 2008

BROOKINGS, S.D.—The Centenary men’s basketball team struggled to find its late game momentum dropping its Summit League opener to South Dakota State, 71-58 in Frost Arena on Thursday evening.


Centenary (2-7, 0-1 Summit) never led in the game, allowing SDSU to use its height advantage and free throw shooting to take game one of league play away from the Gents. The Jackrabbits out rebounded the Gents 43 to 28, allowing them to post nine second chance points compared to Centenary’s zero.


In the opening frame, SDSU jumped ahead 2-0, but junior guard Chase Adams responded with a quick two of his own tying it up. Some early Gent fouls sent the Jackrabbits to the line, where they shot a perfect 8-of-8 in the first 20 minutes compared to Centenary’s 4-of-8.


SDSU (4-4, 1-0 Summit) used an 8-0 run near the 11 minute mark to pull away from an 11-11 tie not allowing the Gents to get any closer. The largest lead was in favor of the Jackrabbits as they led 29-19 with 2:30 remaining in the half, but with an Adams’ three-pointer and two free throws by sophomore Roman Tubner, the Gents came within five. Centenary trailed at the half 31-27.


As a team, Centenary shot 38.5 percent (10-of-26) from the floor, where SDSU shot 40.7 percent (11-of-27) in the opening half. During the first 20 minutes, Adams led all scorers with 10 points and four rebounds.


Trailing by only four at the half seemed manageable, until foul trouble struck the Gents. Jerrald Bonham tied the game at 37 apiece with a jumper at the 15:24 mark, but that is as close as Centenary would get in the latter part of the game.


Centenary’s best run came with five minutes remaining as Tubner sunk two more free throws. An offensive foul on SDSU gave Centenary an extra possession, resulting in a layup by Tubner, followed by an Adams’ three-pointer, his third for the night. 


That run didn’t hold for long as the Jackrabbits responded with their own 6-0 run bringing them back ahead, 58-50. Missed shots and fouls to protect the time on the clock proved to be too much for the Gents’ offense to handle, falling down by 14, the largest deficit of the game, with only 16.1 seconds left.


Size seemed to make a difference in the game when three of the four Gents’ forwards fouled out. Sophomore Anthony Gatlin left with 7:13 remaining, scoring only two points compared to his nine ppg. Bonham was next to leave with two points, then followed Gary Redus II, who left with one minute remaining in the game.


Centenary’s shooting struggled, managing only 38.2 percent (21-of-55) from the floor and 25.0 (5-of-20) from behind the arch in the game. However, SDSU shot 41.7 percent (20-of-48) from the floor. The Gents only made 11-of-20 from the charity line, a low 55.0 percent compared to the Jackrabbits’ 76.9 percent (30-of-39).


For Centenary, Adams led all scorers with 21 points. Stallings contributed with 10 points and seven rebounds. Tubner added a career-high 10 points, three steals, and four rebounds with a 4-of-4 effort from the free throw line. Other scorers for the Maroon and White were Redus II with six, Bonham with four, Perez with three, Brandon Harris, and Gatlin with two apiece.


SDSU’s Garrett Callahan put up 20 points, 9-of-13 from the charity stripe, while Anthony Cordova had 15 points and 10 rebounds. Dale Moss posted his first career double-double with 12 points and 12 rebounds.


The Gents will be back in action on Saturday against North Dakota State in Fargo, N.D. for a 7:05 p.m. tip off. For all live action, tune into KSCL 91.3 FM or