IPFW Hands Gents a Crushing 68-64 Loss
Saturday, January 10, 2009

SHREVEPORT—Looking for its second Summit League win of the season, the Centenary men’s basketball team dropped a hard-fought battle to IPFW, 68-64, on Saturday afternoon in the Gold Dome.


Centenary (3-14, 1-4 Summit) couldn’t seem to sink needed free throws in the second half, as it dropped its first game at home.


The first half started off a little slow for both teams, until IPFW’s Zach Plackemeier went on an 8-0 run of his own sinking two three-pointers in less than two minutes to make it 11-4 with 14:50 remaining.


Nick Stallings and Gary Redus II provided the Gents with some life midway through the half on six consecutive points on lay-ups, putting Centenary ahead 15-13 at the 10 minute mark. From then on, it remained a back-and-forth half and Centenary’s last shot came at 1:29 when Travis Hill sunk a three from deep. Though, it was the Mastodons who headed into halftime with a slight 29-28 advantage.


In the opening 20 minutes, Centenary shot only 39.3 percent (11-of-28), while IPFW was 9-of-19 for 47.4 percent. The Gents forced 10 IPFW turnovers on nine steals. Centenary’s offense, meanwhile, was led by Stallings had nine to lead all scorers in the opening half, while Plackemeier had eight.


Coming into the second half, down by one, the Gents saw an early lead at 19:08 when Chase Adams nailed a deep jumper for two. Stallings’s dunk at 16:28, though was the last field goal Centenary would see in over 12 minutes of play. In that time, IPFW went on an 11-0 run and the Gents missed four consecutive free throws.


Maxx Nakwaasah’s two free throws at the 11 minute mark ended the Mastodon run, as Centenary trailed 42-34 at that time. The Gents got within 10 on two more free throws from Redus, but again, IPFW went on another run to extend its lead to 53-36 with 6:42 remaining, the largest of the afternoon.


Adams’ three at 4:54 ended the 12-minute aforementioned skid Centenary had without a field goal. Redus couldn’t be stopped near the end, as he stepped when Adams fouled out. The sophomore guard, hit two clutch shots in under 20 seconds to make it 63-53. Redus then drove the lane and drew a foul to make it a three-point play, as IPFW led 64-58. A Nakwaasah three-point attempt rolled in and out of the rim at 1:06, which would have made it a three-point game.


Consecutive lay ups by Stallings and Redus brought the Gents within two with 22 seconds left, the closest Centenary would come. Stallings had a chance to make it a one-point game with 11 seconds left, when he drove the lane, but the shot wouldn’t fall.


The last shot for the Gents came on a Nakwaasah lay up with three seconds to make it 67-64, but it wasn’t enough as one clutch free throw by IPFW’s David Carson made it a two-possession ball game.


Even though Centenary scored 23 points off of 21 IPFW turnovers, the Gents managed to only shot 43.6 percent (24-of-55) and 63.2 percent (12-of-19) from the line on the game. IPFW shot 51.2 percent (22-of-43) and 72.0 percent (18-of-25) from the charity stripe. The Mastodons out rebounded the Gents, 33-27.


Stallings led Centenary with 18, while Redus and Adams chipped in with 17 and 15 respectively. Jeremy Mixon led all scorers with 20, while David Carson had 15 for IPFW.


Centenary will be back in action on Thursday, Jan. 15 and Saturday, Jan. 17, when it travels to Western Illinois and IUPUI for two 7 p.m. tip-offs.  Fans can catch all action on KSCL 91.3 FM or www.GoCentenary.com