Second Half Rally Ended Short, Gents Fall 61-59 at UMKC
Thursday, February 19, 2009

KANSAS CITY, MO.—For its second game in a row, the Centenary men’s basketball team fell in the final seconds, dropping a 61-59 decision to UMKC on Thursday evening in Summit League play.


Centenary (7-20, 5-10 Summit) allowed the Kangaroos to sink 20-of-26 from the free throw line, which proved to be a key contributor in its seventh consecutive league loss.


Nick Stallings’ steal and lay-up 40 seconds in gave Centenary a 2-0 lead to begin the first half. Though, Latreze Mushatt responded for UMKC with two and Dane Brumagin drained a three, making it 5-2.


The Kangaroos (7-21, 3-12 Summit) took advantage of the Gents’ missed shots, going on a 15-4 run in the first 10 minutes of the game. Stallings’ jumper ended the run at the 9:56 mark, bringing Centenary within seven, 15-8.


The Gents saw its best run when Chase Adams’ nailed a shot from deep at 7:41 and David Perez followed in their next possession with his first three to narrow the deficit to five points, 19-14.


UMKC took a nine-point lead, 27-18 on a three by Bakari Lewis with 2:38 remaining, but Perez answered with his second three of the half, while Anthony Gatlin knocked down a jumper for two to give Centenary’s its last points heading into halftime. The Kangaroos’ Trey McKinney-Jones finished the half with a lay-up as UMKC led 29-23.


Gary Redus II’s lay-up at 18:12 ended a quick 4-0 opening run by UMKC, but troubled by fouls in the first half, Redus picked up his fourth immediately following his made bucket.


UMKC’s Brumagin knocked down a three to extend its lead to 11 (40-29), the largest of the game at 15:59. Adams, though, wouldn’t allow the Kangaroos to stretch the lead any further, as he drained back-to-back three-pointers to bring the Gents within five, 40-35.


An impressive Kangaroo free throw performance throughout the second half, gave them the slight advantage, as they were a perfect 12-of-12 until 6:25, when Jones only hit one of two in that trip.


The Gents got within three, 54-51 with 5:36 to play on two made free throws by Adams. UMKC sunk three of four free throws to extend its lead to six, but Perez stepped up and nailed his fourth three of the game to make it 57-54 with 1:55 remaining.


A drive to the basket by Adams with 1:00 to play made it a one-point ball game, 57-56. With 19 seconds on the shot clock and 36 seconds to play, Lewis’ jumper found the bottom of the net to give UMKC a three-point lead.


Gatlin’s made three with 12 seconds to play tied the game at 59 apiece, but the Kangaroos executed on their final possession when Fred Ford’s lay-up rolled in to give them the 61-59 win.


Centenary was led by Chase Adams’ game-high 15 points and seven assists. Gatlin and Perez each added 12 points, while Stallings had a team-high seven rebounds.


For UMKC, Jones’ double-double of 11 points and 11 rebounds led the Kangaroos. Lewis added 14 points.


The Gents shot 42 percent (22-of-52) from the field, connecting on a mere 8-of-22 from behind the arch for a 36 percent performance. Meanwhile, UMKC also shot 42 percent (19-of-45) from the floor and only knocked down three from deep, but managed to pour in a 77 percent (20-of-26) effort from the charity stripe. Centenary was out rebounded, 34-26.


Centenary will be back in action at Southern Utah on Saturday in an 8:30 p.m. (CST) tip-off. The game can be heard locally on KSCL 91.3 FM and