Gents Edged 84-83 by UMKC
Sunday, December 6, 2009
SHREVEPORT-The Centenary men's basketball team was edged by just one, 84-83, in the final seconds to UMKC on Saturday evening in Summit League play.

The Gents gave up a late 12-point lead and were out scored by eight in the final half to fall to 1-1 in league play and 4-3 overall.

A competitive first half was evident as the score was tied 11 times. Centenary took their first lead, 10-8, on two free throws by junior Roman Tubner at 14:27.

The Gents went on a 7-2 run midway through the half as sophomores David Perez, Maxx Nakwaasah, and freshman Daman Starring each contributed.

Tied at 22-22, Centenary took advantage of two UMKC turnovers and several missed offensive opportunities to pull ahead by six (28-22) on a 6-0 run with 6:47 to play. From then on, the Gents never trailed for the rest of the half.

An 8-2 run by UMKC tied the game once again at 30-30, but two treys by Perez and one by freshman Pedro Maciel gave the Gents a seven-point lead with just over two minutes to play.

The Kangaroos got within five, but Nakwaasah laid the ball up for two to send Centenary into halftime with a 43-36 lead.

Centenary shot an impressive 52 percent (15-of-29) from the floor in the opening half, while UMKC shot 46 percent (13-of-28).

The second half opened with a 4-0 UMKC run, however, the Gents didn't let up, going on their own 5-0 run on a huge three by freshman Matt Marseille and two clutch free throws by senior Jerrald Bonham to remain a hold of the lead at 48-42.

A 10-2 run with just under 16 minutes to play by Centenary powered them to the first double-digit lead at 11, 55-44, of the night. Five Kangaroo free throws kept the game within reach.

Nakwaasah hit six free throws and Marseille drained two deep treys to give Centenary its largest lead of the night at 12 (77-65) with 4:30 left in the game. The Gents were up by 10, but UMKC used a late 7-0 run on a three, a lay up and two free throws to narrow the large deficit to three (80-77) with two minutes remaining.

Nakwaasah had an important steal after UMKC garnered an extra possession. Following the steal, Tubner was fouled and sent to the line, where he hit one-of-two to give Centenary a four-point lead, but UMKC was successful on its end with a three from the top of the key.

Perez knocked down two charity shots in the end, but a UMKC jumper put the Kangaroos on top in the final seconds of play.

Centenary shot an impressive 55 percent (24-of-44) from the floor led by Perez with 23. Tubner chipped in with 17 and Nakwaasah and Marseille had 14 and 11 respectively.

UMKC shot 48 percent (28-of-59) and was led by Bakari Lewis with 18. LaTreze Mushatt and Tre McKinney-Jones each had 17.

The Gents were out rebounded by six, 31-25. Bonham and Nakwaasah each had five.

"We will learn from this. It's simple. You make defensive plays at the end and you take care of the basketball, you will win games," said head coach Greg Gary.

Centenary will be back in action on Wednesday when they travel to Oklahoma to face the Big 12 Sooners at 7:00 pm.