Nakwaasah Pours in Record-Setting 51 Points in Gents' Win
Tuesday, January 17, 2012

SHREVEPORT-Senior Maxx Nakwaasah broke the all-time single game scoring record of 50 points previously held by Robert "The Chief" Parish back in 1972 when he poured in 51 points to lead the Centenary men's basketball team to a 95-78 win over ETBU on Monday in the Gold Dome.

That win moved second-year head coach Adam Walsh's squad to 6-7 on the year, winning now their fifth straight game. The last time the Gents won five straight was back in 2002-03.

Monday's victory also improved Centenary's home record to 6-1 on the season. A 30-point loss a month ago to the Tigers on the road spearheaded an exciting and dominating performance by the Gents in the 17-point win in the ‘Dome.

Nakwaasah couldn't get any hotter offensively as the Dallas, Texas native continues to inch his way up the all-time scoring list, now moving into 28th place all-time with 1,058 points to his name.

51 points - a record previously held by the all-time great Robert Parish was broken when Nakwaasah's jumper with five seconds left in the game sank the bottom of the net. He finished the evening breaking all his career offensive highs, netting 18-of-24 from the floor, which included 7-of-8 from behind the three-point line.

Not only did he score 51 points, but notched his fourth straight double-double and 11th of his career, pulling down 11 rebounds-a game high.

Behind Nakwaasah in scoring were sophomore Jonathan Blount's 15 points on three treys and freshman JaColby Hardin-Crawford's 11 points on three treys as well off the bench.

Centenary shot an impressive 50 percent (32-64) from the floor and hit 16-of-27 from the three-point line for 59 percent. Sophomore Jairus Browning and Blount each led with five assists.

The Gents also out rebounded ETBU, 39 to 32. Centenary forced ETBU into 13 turnovers on eight steals led by a strong defensive effort by freshman Saro Ntagha, taking several key charges to change possessions.

The score was tied four times in the opening half.

Centenary took it largest lead of 11 (37-26) with 6:03 to play following eight points by Hardin-Crawford off the bench. ETBU ended the first half with eight unanswered points to trail 47-44 at the half.

The Gents opened the second half strong and never looked back. Back-to-back treys by Blount to open the final 20 minutes got things rolling. The closest the Tigers would come in the second half would be seven (72-65) with 8:33 left.

Two huge treys by freshman Tyler Wright sparked some life for Centenary once again. Nakwaasah scored the last 12-of-16 points for the Gents including a record-setting last second jumper.

Centenary will return to play on Thursday at LeTourneau in a 7:30 pm contest in Longview, Texas.