IRVING, Texas & COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado - The Centenary basketball teams will hit the road for the first time in Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference play when they travel to Dallas Friday night, January 12, and Colorado College Sunday, January 14.
The Gents Opening Tip
- The Gents hit the road for their first conference road games of the season. It is 1-4 in conference road openers and have lost three straight, knocking off Dallas in the 2013-14 season.
- Centenary leads the conference and sits 140th in the country with only 13.8 turnovers per game. After a season-worst 22 miscues at Concordia, the Gents average 12.4 turnovers per game in the last five contests.
- The Maroon and White enter the weekend with a 4-0 record this season after a loss.
- Four Gents rank in the top-10 in the conference in assist-to-turnover ratio, led by Kaharri Carter at 2.6.
Last Game against Dallas
The Gents trailed the Crusders with five minutes remaining in the game, but a 12-1 run in a three-minute span helped Centenary pick up a road win at Dallas, 82-68 on February 5, 2017.
Centenary went ahead for good on a Travion Kirkendoll jumper with 4:13 left, and the Gents iced the game by going 10-for-12 from the line in the final four minutes.
It was the last time Centenary had five players in double figures, led by Cedric Harris' 17.
Prince Giadolor led Dallas with 15 points.
Last Game against Colorado College
Centenary trailed by five with a minute remaining, but a turnover in the final seconds and breakaway baskets by Colorado College helped the Tigers escape with a 72-67 win in Colorado Springs February 3, 2017.
James Sapp and Travion Kirkendoll grabbed 11 rebounds each, scoring 20 and 10 points, respectively, to finish the double-doubles.
John Hatch went off for 29 points and Eric Houska contributed 21 for Colorado College.
The Series with Dallas and Colorado College
This will be the 14th meeting between the Crusaders and Gents, with Centenary holding a 9-4 advantage and a four-game winning streak. The two teams have split four meetings in Irving, Texas.
However, Centenary and Colorado College are meeting for the 12th time. The Tigers hold a 10-1 advantage and have won the last four in the series. Centenary is 0-6 in Colorado Springs, with the only win in the series coming 64-52 on January 3, 2015 in Shreveport.
The Ladies Opening Tip
- Centenary begins road conference play at Dallas Friday night. The Ladies are on a four-game losing streak in SCAC road openers, but beat Dallas 65-64 on December 15, 2012.
- Centenary is undefeated this season when playing on Friday night and also recording a higher shooting percentage than its opponents, sitting 2-0 in both instances.
- Through 13 games this season, Centenary has either hit three, four, or five three-pointers in every game.
- Against Southwestern January 7, freshman Bre Frierson scored 10 points on 5-for-7 shooting in the fourth quarter alone.
Last Time against Dallas
The Crusaders used a 17-2 advantage in the second quarter en route to a 66-50 win against the Ladies on February 5, 2017, in Irving, Texas.
Deunya Small led Centenary with 12 points, 11 rebounds, and five blocks. Jasmine Morris added 16 points.
Michelle DeCoud paced Dallas with 17 points and 16 rebounds.
Last Time against Colorado College
Trailing by five with less than five minutes remaining, the Ladies finished the game on a 17-4 run to win 60-52 on February 3, 2017, in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Centenary took a 53-52 lead with 1:18 left, and made 7-of-8 from the line to seal the win.
Jasmine Morris scored 19 points while Savanah Doty added 13.
Korbyn Ukasick scored 19 points for the Tigers.
The Series with Dallas and Colorado College
This will be the 13th meeting between Centenary and Dallas, with the Crusaders holding a 9-3 edge in the series. Dallas also won both meetings last season. Centenary is 2-4 in Irving, Texas.
The Ladies and Tigers will be meeting for the 12th time, with Centenary looking to even the series. Colorado College holds a 6-5 edge in the series, but the Ladies are on a three-game winning streak.
Race to 1,000
Junior Jasmine Morris is trying to become just the seventh Ladies basketball player to reach 1,000 career points. She has 964 in 64 career games played in her quest to become only the second Centenary player to reach this milestone in her junior season. Alexis Pettway - the Centenary career points leader with 1,416 points - is the fastest player in Ladies history to 1,000 points, accomplishing this feat in her 82nd game her junior season.
Averaging 12 points per game in 2017-18, Morris is scheduled to hit the 1,000-point mark next Friday, January 19, at Trinity.
The Ladies and Gents continue their four-game road swing next weekend when it takes on Trinity on Friday, January 19 and Schreiner Saturday, January 20.