SHREVEPORT, La. - The Centenary basketball teams will play its final home games of the season the next two weekends, beginning with Trinity (January 26) and Schreiner (January 28) this weekend.
Gents Opening Tip
- Centenary (10-7, 4-3 SCAC) looks to keep pace with the SCAC leaders this weekend, as Schreiner (8-9, 5-1) is on top while Trinity (10-7, 4-2) sits second.
- With the victory Friday night at Trinity, the Gents are now on a five-game winning streak against the Tigers.
- Centenary is averaging only 12.1 turnovers in conference play, just ahead of Trinity (12.2). After Texas Lutheran (12.3), the next closest team is nearly four turnovers more.
- Junior Kaharri Carter recorded his first collegiate double-double at Trinity January 19.
- Centenary improved to 4-7 in games when losing at half with a win January 19.
Last Game against Trinity
The Gents faced a nine-point deficit in both halves and a 34-30 deficit at halftime, but 11 unanswered in the second half propelled the Gents to a 77-71 road win against Trinity January 19. It was Centenary's fifth-straight victory against the Tigers.
Down 46-37, the Gents hit a trio of treys to tie the game while a Cedric Harris jumper gave Centenary its first lead of the game halfway through the second half. The Maroon and White never trailed the rest of the game.
Cedric Harris scored 23 while Kaharri Carter came off the bench for 17 points and 11 boards.
Danny Rivara scored 17 points and hauled in 11 rebounds to lead the Tigers.
Last Game against Schreiner
The Gents came back from nine down to tie the game at 37 going into the intermission, but the Mountaineers used a 43-23 edge on the boards en route to an 81-68 win January 20 in Kerrville.
Cedric Harris led Centenary with 21 points, while Kaharri Carter came off the bench for his second career high in as many nights with 19.
Keenan Gumbs scored 20 points to pace Schreiner.
The Series with Trinity and Schreiner
This will be the 16th meeting between the Gents and Trinity. Centenary leads the all-time series, 9-6, thanks to a five-game winning streak dating back to the 2016 season. Centenary has won the last two games in Shreveport, including the 2016 SCAC Tournament.
The Gents lead the Mountaineers in the all-time series, 7-4, but Schreiner has won the last four contests. Last year, Schreiner picked up its first win ever in Shreveport.
Ladies Opening Tip
- Centenary (4-13, 2-5) faces #16 Trinity and Schreiner this weekend before travelling to Dallas Christian for their final non-conference contest Monday.
- Last weekend's win at Schreiner was the Ladies first win away from the Gold Dome and their first ever win in Kerrville.
- With a drive in the first quarter (which ignited a 10-0 Centenary run), junior Jasmine Morris became just the seventh and fastest Lady with 1,000 career points.
- While Centenary has not defeated Trinity, the Ladies have had leads against the nationally- ranked Tigers in the fourth quarter each of the last two times the teams have met in Shreveport.
Last Time against Trinity
The Ladies had a three-point lead early, but the Tigers built a double-digit advantage in the first quarter and never looked back as Centenary fell on the road to #15 Trinity, 78-66 January 19.
Samantha Lyons scored a then-season high of 18 points, while Jasmine Morris added 11.
Abby Holland led Trinity with 18 points.
Last Time against Schreiner
Kayla King scored nine of her 10 points in the fourth quarter (4-for-5 from the field), including the game-winning layup with 1.3 seconds left, as Centenary beat Schreiner 70-68 January 20.
It was the Ladies first victory in Kerrville in program history.
Samantha Lyons poured in a season high 19 points while Jasmine Morris added 14, becoming the fastest player in program history to 1,000 points.
The Series with Trinity and Schreiner
The Ladies have lost all 12 meetings with the Tigers, but Centenary has made Trinity sweat in the last two contests in Shreveport. In 2016, the nationally-ranked Tigers came in to Shreveport and used a late three to force overtime, eventually winning 71-66. In 2017, the Ladies led going in to the fourth quarter before an eight-point loss.
The Ladies are 2-9 against Schreiner, looking for the season sweep Sunday afternoon.
Get That Out of Here
A Centenary player is accustomed to being among the national leaders in blocks per game since the 2014-15 season, but the last two seasons, it has been Savanah Doty. Averaging 1.59 blocks a game this season, she leads the SCAC and is eighth in the country among guards.
Home Sweet Dome
Centenary enters the weekend 3-4 in the Gold Dome but 2-2 in its last four contests. The Ladies average four more points the last four games at home (62.5) than their overall season average.
The Ladies play their final non-conference game Tuesday, January 30, when they take in Dallas Christian. On February 2-3, Centenary basketball hosts Dallas and Colorado College for the final home games of the season. The Gents and Ladies will celebrate senior night on February 3 against the Tigers.