SAN ANTONIO and KERRVILLE, Texas - The Centenary basketball teams wrap up the first half of Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference play when they take on Trinity and Schreiner in doubleheaders this weekend. The Ladies and Gents take on the Tigers in San Antonio beginning with the Gents at 5:30 p.m. Friday night, January 19. Centenary wraps up the weekend against Schreiner Saturday, January 20. The doubleheader begins with the Gents at 4 p.m.
Gents at Schriener: Live Stats | Live Video
Gents Quick Hits
- Centenary (9-6, 3-2 SCAC) is looking for their fifth-straight win against Trinity (9-6, 3-1 SCAC).
- Meanwhile, the Gents are looking to snap a three-game losing streak to Schreiner (6-9, 3-1 SCAC).
- Centenary is 6-0 on the season when leading at the half and 4-0 when holding teams to under 40-percent shooting from the field.
- The Gents (13.2) and Trinity (14.0) sit in the top spot of the conference in fewest turnovers per game. In fact, Centenary is averaging only 12 turnovers a game in conference play.
- The Tigers and Mountaineers are both atop the SCAC with 3-1 records. Centenary and Dallas are a half-game behind at 3-2.
Last Game against Trinity
Down 53-47 early in the second half, the Gents scored 12 unanswered as Centenary went on to knock off Trinity, 87-81, to clinch a spot in the 2017 SCAC Tournament on February 11, 2017.
Tied at 53, Dyllon Weaver hit a pair of threes - his only points of the game - to give the Gents the lead for good.
Travion Kirkendoll scored 21 points for the Gents, while Treylan Matthews contributed 13.
Danny Rivara led a quartet of Tigers in double figures, finishing with 18 points. He added 12 rebounds to complete the double-double. Matt Jones added 17.
Last Game against Schreiner
Centenary erased a double-digit, first-half deficit to tie the game at halftime, but Schreiner grabbed the lead and made 5-of-6 from the line in the final 30 seconds in a 90-86 win on February 10, 2017.
It was the Mountaineers first ever win in Shreveport.
Kirkendoll scored a career high 37 points to lead the Gents.
Keenan Gumbs added 23 points for Schreiner
The Series with Trinity and Schreiner
This will be the 15th meeting between the Gents and Trinity. Centenary leads the all-time series, 8-6, thanks to a four-game winning streak dating back to the 2016 season. Centenary has also won the last three games in San Antonio.
The Gents lead the Mountaineers in the all-time series, 7-3, but Schreiner has won the last three contests. Last year in Kerrville, the Gents scored 11 unanswered to take an 89-88 lead with 45 seconds left, but two late free throws gave Schreiner the win.
Ladies Quick Hits
- Centenary (3-12, 1-4 SCAC) finishes the first half of conference play this weekend with games at Trinity (11-2, 4-0 SCAC) and Schreiner (5-10, 3-1 SCAC).
- The Ladies are looking for their first victory of the season away from the Gold Dome.
- Junior Jasmine Morris is just 15 points away from becoming just the seventh Lady with 1,000 career points.
- While Centenary has not defeated Trinity, the Ladies have had leads against the nationally-ranked Tigers in the fourth quarter each of the last two times the teams have met in Shreveport.
- The Ladies are looking for their first win in Kerrville, losing 68-63 in 2017 after leading with 38 seconds left.
Last Time against Trinity
The Ladies led Trinity 49-47 entering the fourth quarter on February 11, 2017 in Shreveport, but the Tigers used a 7-0 run to take the lead in a 67-59 win.
Jasmine Morris registered the double-double with 13 points and 12 boards, while Peyton Hurst added 12 points.
Grace Horn paced Trinity with 16, while Elizabeth Balido came off the bench for 14.
Last Time against Schreiner
Schreiner scored the first seven points and never looked back in an 84-43 win in Shreveport February 10, 2017. Jasmine Morris led Centenary with 12 points while Sabriyyah Fennell led the Mountaineers with 24.
The Series with Trinity and Schreiner
The Ladies have lost all 11 meetings with the Tigers, but Centenary has made Trinity sweat in the last two contests in Shreveport. In 2016, the nationally-ranked Tigers came in to Shreveport and used a late three to force overtime, eventually winning 71-66. In 2017, the Ladies led going in to the fourth quarter before an eight-point loss.
Centenary won the first-ever meeting with Schreiner, but the Mountaineers have won the last nine. The Ladies are still looking for their first ever win in Kerrville.
Get That Out of Here
A Centenary player is accustomed to being among the nation's leaders in blocks per game since the 2014-15 season, but the last two seasons, it has been Savanah Doty. Averaging 1.67 blocks a game this season, she leads the SCAC and is eighth in the country among guards.
Race to 1,000
Junior Jasmine Morris is trying to become just the seventh Ladies basketball player to reach 1,000 career points. She has 985 in 65 career games played in her quest to become only the second Centenary player to reach this milestone in her junior season. Alexis Pettway - the Centenary career points leader with 1,416 points - is the fastest player in Ladies history to 1,000 points, accomplishing this feat in her 82nd game her junior season.
Centenary returns to the Gold Dome next weekend, January 26 and 28, when they take on Trinity and Schreiner. The doubleheader against the Tigers on Friday is set for 5:30 p.m., while the doubleheader on Sunday against the Mountaineers is slated for noon.