Gents Blow by Trinity in Second Half for 63-44 Win

Gents Blow by Trinity in Second Half for 63-44 Win

SHREVEPORT, La. - For the second-straight Friday, the Gents faced a halftime deficit against the Tigers. And for the second-straight week, the Maroon and White used a strong second half to claim the victory.

However, the Gents held the Tigers to only 15 second half points and 10 percent (3-for-30) from the field as Centenary (11-7, 5-3 Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference) completed the season sweep of Trinity (10-8, 4-3 SCAC) with a 63-44 win Friday night, January 26.

It was the first contest in more than five seasons that Centenary held a team to under 50 points. It was also the lowest output by a Gents opponent since Southern Utah only scored 44 in a Maroon and White win on February 14, 2004.

Down 29-28 at the break, Centenary scored the first six of the second half. Senior Dyllon Weaver drained a three. Senior Travion Kirkendoll hit a pair from the line before freshman Raylon Hardy split from the line. After Hardy missed his first free throw of the night, he made his final five from the charity stripe en route to a career high 10 points.

After Trinity tied the game at 37, Centenary made six of its next seven from beyond the arc to open up a 17-point lead. Sophomore Cedric Harris drained a three and Hardy hit two free throws. Trinity split from the line, and two Harris free throws and a three from Kirkendoll built the lead to 47-38 with 7:53 left. Harris hit a triple to push the lead to double digits, but Matt Jones answered with a three for the third and final field goal for Trinity in the second half with 6:15 left.

Junior Kaharri Carter and Kirkendoll then hit back-to-back treys to push the lead to double-digits for good. Trinity again split from the line, but Hardy's first three since November pushed the Centenary advantage to 59-42 with 4:34 left.

Both teams only made free throws the rest of the way in the Centenary's 19-point win.

Harris finished the game with 15 points, while Carter scored 12. Kirkendoll finished the game with 11 points.

Trinity trailed 24-16 in the first, but 10 unanswered gave the visitors its first lead of the game. Matthew Colliflower made a pair of layups, the second while being fouled, while Brooks Mays made a layup to quickly cut the lead to one. Nylan Yancy made a pair from the line and Colliflower split as Trinity led 26-24 with 2:09 left in the first.

Centenary held the Tigers to 22.4 percent (13-for-58) from the field, its best field goal defense of the season. No Trinity player reached double figures as Jones and Jayden Holden scored none points each.

The Gents finish the month of January Sunday, January 28, when they host Schreiner. Tip is scheduled for noon.