Gents Basketball Rallies from 20-Point Deficit, Falls in Overtime to Millsaps

Photo Courtesy of Hailey Lawson
Photo Courtesy of Hailey Lawson

CONWAY, Ark. – The Gents Basketball team used hot shooting from behind the arc to overcome a 20-point deficit to send the game to overtime, but the Majors built an 8-point lead in OT and held on for the win as Centenary (1-3) fell to Millsaps (2-1) 81-76 in OT on the final day of the Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference/Southern Athletic Association Classic Sunday afternoon, November 18.

Centenary trailed by 20 in the first half and 51-35 with 13:04 left in regulation, but 14 unanswered in a 5-minute span brought the Gents back within a single possession. Freshman Ricky Ray and Ty Prince hit back-to-back threes before neither team scored in the next two minutes. Junior Jericho Gray broke the drought with a jumper. Ray grabbed a defensive rebound and drove the length of the court for the fastbreak layup. Senior Kaharri Carter and freshman Kile Mingo made layups to pull Centenary within 51-49 with 8:20 left in regulation.

Both teams traded baskets for the next three minutes before Gray scored five unanswered for Centenary's first lead of the ballgame. He split from the line before Prince grabbed a board and fed Gray for the fastbreak layup. After another missed shot by Millsaps, Prince passed ahead to Gray again for the fastbreak hoop and the Gents 56-55 lead.

Gray came off the bench for 11 points, only his second collegiate double-digit game and the most points in nearly two seasons. He also added four assists against 0 turnovers.

After a layup by Millsaps, Mingo hit a triple to give Centenary a 59-57 lead – its largest of the game. Millsaps took a three-point lead with four seconds left in regulation, but Prince hit a three to send the game into overtime.

Prince led the Gents with 19 points and nine boards.

Centenary fell behind by 16 in the first half thanks to a 27.3 percent (9-for-33) shooting. After the Gents improved to 47.2 percent (17-for-36) to tie the game at the end of regulation, they only shot 20 percent (2-for-10) in overtime.

Tied at 71 in overtime, Millsaps went on a 9-1 run. A layup by Michael Sullivan put the Majors in front. Both teams split free throws before Sullivan made a pair from the line. Matt Owens answered with a jumper and She'Chem Grant made a pair from the line. A split from the line by Carter and a three from Ray brought Centenary within four, but a split from the line by Millsaps and a missed three by the Gents ended the game.

Sullivan scored 25 points while Justin Van Pelt contributed a double-double of 10 points and 10 rebounds.

Centenary returns to action next Saturday, November 24, at Arkansas-Monticello. Tip-off is scheduled for 3 p.m.

#MIChamps19 Web Site
March 20, 2019 #MIChamps19 Web Site